While chatting with a friend about different tropical fishes, we have mentioned and gotten even curious with Silver Dollar Fishes. At first, my friend threw me a joke like are Silver Dollar Fishes looking the same as 1883 silver dollar? “As we wish“, was my only answer.
Silver Dollar Fishes (image from flickr.com)
I am not sure if I have seen Silver Dollar Fishes in person yet but they are looking the same as to what I have imagined — the fishes I’ve seen in the pet shop in our place. The fishes there were silver also in color but not as shining as most of the reviews online said about these fishes.
Here are some of the descriptions of Silver Dollar Fishes:
- Scientific Name: Metynnis hypsauchen
- Common Names: Silver Dollar Fish
- Size: 6 – 7 inches (15 – 18 cm)
- pH: 6 – 7.5
- Temperature: 75°F – 82°F (24°C – 28°C)
- Water Hardnes : 8° to 15° dH,
- Life span: 5 – 10 years
- Origin/Habitat: South America
Data mentioned above are from http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-SilverDollar.htm.